Bakers are culinary experts with specialization in confectioneries. Bakers are in charge of wide range of activities from making pastries, breads to other baked delicacies. To become a successful baker one needs to have the skill of making correct measurement of ingredients. It is also critical for estimating the cooking time and ordering baking supplies.
Bakers provide their expert services to wide range of businesses ranging from luxury hotels to small eateries. However, most bakers are self employed and run their own bakery, small or big. It is one of the perks of being a baker is the opportunities it offers to work in different settings. Broadly, we can categorize bakers into two categories: Commercial bakers and Retail bakers.
Basic roles, duties & responsibilities of bakers
So, what do bakers do? Here is the the list of basic roles, duties & responsibilities of bakers:
- Assess the quality of baking supplies
- Arrange necessary equipment for baking
- Prepare the dough
- Manage the oven temperatures
- Measure the ingredients with great attention
- Apply toppings, icings or glazes
- Transfer dough into pans, molds and baking sheets
- Mix baking ingredients into blenders and mixtures
Bakers have to start their work early in the morning and usually work in accordance with a strict routine that sets quotas for how many items they have to make every day. Especially on festive occasions, bakers have to work long hours including evenings and weekends as well.
Employers of Bakers
- Bakeries and confectionery stores
- Grocery stores
- Confectionery manufacturing factories
- Cafeterias of different organizations like schools and hospitals
- Tortilla manufacturing
However, bakers often work independently and are self employed. It takes some time and dedication to build you a reputation and establish yourself in the food industry. Running your own bakery also means taking care of salaries and bills, ordering supplies and making profit.
Qualification and Training
There is no requirement of formal education to become a baker but many attend a culinary school nowadays. The programs mostly are 2 years long and cover areas of nutrition, food safety and also basic math.
Bakers garner their skills such as mixing, measuring, icing, decorating and glazing through training while on the job, lasting from 1 to 3 years. Employers also offer apprenticeship offers for competent bakers. In manufacturing industries, commercial bakers are taught how to use large scale mixing and blending equipment, baking process, affect of humidity and mixing the ingredients among other various skills.
Required skills or job specifications for bakers
The food industry is always looking out for creative and competent bakers to grow their business. There are certain skills a baker needs to have in order to be a skilled one. The following are some required skills:
- Aptitude for detail and originality
- Mathematical skills such as fraction and measurement
- Physical stamina as most of the work is done standing
- Knowledge of good hygiene and safety standards
- Self motivated
- Able to work under pressure
- Knowhow of organizational skills
- Team spirit
- Creativity and artistic abilities