Business analysts are individuals who aid businesses formulate and execute technology solutions in a productive and profitable way. Business analysts work intimately with business houses and organizations to help them improvise their working mechanism. They work in variety of organizations ranging from IT companies to public corporations and so on.
If you have a knack for solving problems and analyzing data, this might be an ideal career for you. As a business analyst, you may have to execute simple measures like changing the software to vast functions like implementing a fully integrated system.
Basic roles, duties & responsibilities of business analysts
So, what does a business analyst do? Here we have listed out the basic roles, duties or responsibilities carried out by business analysts:
- Closely interact with managers regarding development strategies and plans
- Carry out researches to find out underlying loopholes
- Analyze findings and make use of data modeling processes
- Critically analyze the possible risks and outcomes
- Support and supervise staffs for responsible execution of changes
- Explain the reimbursements of your changes towards organization
- administer testing and quality checks of your changes
Basically, high level jobs include working in an organization, recognizing areas that need changes and finding solutions to these problems. Business analyst’s job is normally office based but you may have to travel often between sites of an organization.
All organizations, be it a business house or a social work organization strives to be successful and ace in whatever it does. For this, they are constantly trying to evolve themselves and business analysts help them do just that.
- IT companies
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Social and charitable organizations
- Government and public bodies
- Business organizations
- Corporate houses
- Educational institutes
Qualification and training
Most of the business analysts come from a technical background, mostly computer engineering or software development. It is because IT and digital technology often forms a major part in an organization’s development plans.
A degree in following subjects might be helpful:
- Business information system
- Computer science
- Business management
- Computing and system development
It is very important that a business analyst keep himself updated about the new developments in the field. Many employers look for candidates with IIBA and CBAP certification. Since business analysis programs aren’t widely available, a degree in the relevant field is taken as eligible.
There are also customized degrees known as Diploma in Business Analysis which can be attained through Information System Examination Board.
Required skills or job specifications for business analysts
As business analysts you need to constantly sharpen your skills to get an edge over your contemporaries. Here are some skills and qualities one must be equipped with to be a business analyst:
- Ability to view problems from different angles and solve them
- Good communication and interpersonaal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good negotiation skills
- Ability to work alone and as a team
- Tact and diplomacy
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Ability to foresee and anticipate future changes