Business development officer (BDO) is an individual responsible for building business and marketing plans for realization of company’s revenue goals. Since it is a result oriented role, a business development officer is in charge for understanding the new trends, people and market conditions. They are high level sales professionals whose duty is to help business increase sales and customers.
Business development officers also have to actively work in field of media and communication. As a business development officer you are also responsible for organizing marketing press release, launching websites and advertisements.
Basic roles, duties & responsibilities of business development officer:
So, what really does a business development officer (BDO) do? Here is the list of basic roles, duties & responsibilities of business development officer:
- Analyze and prepare reports on budget, revenue and sales
- Conduct market research for new opportunities
- Prepare annual budget and track expenditure
- Respond to clients’ and customers’ inquiries and complaints
- Develop extensive knowledge about business situation
- Develop business proposals for customers
- Negotiate deals with different parties
- Explain about new products to potential customers
- Attend conferences, meetings and events
- Plan and oversee marketing initiatives
As a business development officer, you will work normal office hours. But on special occasions such as sales campaign, seminars you may have to be work for longer hours to meet deadlines. You will also have to travel often for sales purpose.
Employers of business development officers
Business development officers are in high demand and are prized assets of every organization, ranging from business houses to even nonprofit organizations.
- Recreation businesses
- Retail companies
- Commercial firms
- Educational institutes
- Manufacturing companies
- Legal firms
- Government and public bodies
Qualification and training
Students from any academic background can pursue a career in this field, as long as they have necessary experience and right amount of training. There is no particular degree to study to develop your career as a business development officer but following degrees can level up your chances:
- Business management
- Human resources
A post graduation degree is not a compulsion but it increases your chances of getting hired. You will also get in-house training from your seniors to help you be familiar with the company’s working mechanism and so on.
However, most people start off their journey to the top as sales person, assistant manager and so on. Once you earn enough experience and credibility, you can apply directly for the role as business development officer.
Required skills or job specifications for business development officers
As business development officers you need to have certain skills to get an edge be hired by reputed companies. Here are some skills and qualities one must be ready with to be business development officers:
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability for good negotiation
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexible approach to work
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Good knowledge of business and market situation
- Leadership skills and ability to work as a team