Front end engineers are individuals who program the tangible and interactive features of a website that the users can view, like animation, text boxes, games and forums, and navigation. The main function of a front end engineer is to produce rich, detailed and enticing features that draw users to site every day, connect them, and motivate them to stay and make purchases. Basically, front end engineers work in close collaboration with back-end engineers who analyze and process the data behind the scene.
Front end engineers first assess the preference and needs of website audiences and help create specifications for design development in collaboration with technical staffs, marketers and managers. If you have a deep interest in technology, creating new things and help people solve problems a career as a front end engineer is suitable for you.
Basic roles, duties, responsibilities of front end engineers
So, what does frontend engineers do? Front end engineers have to perform very diverse function in their day to day office work. However, the nature, size and objectives of the employers play a crucial role in determining the basic duties and responsibilities of a front end engineer in an organization.
- Develop responsive web applications and hybrid mobile apps of high standard
- Work side by side with product management team and help define and achieve realistic requirements
- Work alongside diverse teams to develop a efficient front-end
- Work in collaboration with senior team members to devise and deliver best front end experience and solution
- Write up unit tests to run within continuous integration system
- Make sure of software compatibility across various platforms and browsers
- Maintain and train junior members and other developers
- Be up to date with the relevant front end technology trends in the market
- Create new user-facing features
- Optimize the application for better speed and scalability
Employers of front end engineers
- IT companies
- IT solutions companies
- Retail businesses
- Manufacturing businesses
- Housing and real estate companies
- Business outsourcing agencies
- Film studios
- Advertising agencies
Front end engineers have to mostly work normal office hours between Monday and Friday. The work is mostly office based. A front end engineer may have to work overtime and extra hours when the deadline is approaching.
Qualification and training
Candidates need a four years degree in computer science or other similar relevant degree to qualify for working as a front end engineer. Similar to any information science profession, front end engineers to need to have a degree in a subject that helps gain proficiency in programming languages, networking and communication, math and data management. A master’s degree in related technical field will increase your chances and give you an advantage over other individuals.
A degree in one of the following subjects is required:
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Spatial Design
- Information Technology or Informatics Studies
- Web design and development
- Graphic design
Other than a related and valid degree, employers mostly look for candidates with proved proficiency in internet coding, using software toolkits, user interactivity and web design.
Required skills or job specifications
To build a reputation and get established in the business front end engineers need to have special skills relevant to the field. Employers hire promising graduates and front end engineers with the following skills:
- Artistic and technical skills
- A good eye for detail
- Ability to work as a team
- Leadership ability
- Good organizational skills
- Good knowledge of relevant legislature
- Flexibility to toggle between multiple projects at given time
- Ability to work under pressure and within deadlines