Marketing Manager is an individual who makes plans and gives direction to marketing, advertisement and promotional projects of the company in order to boost the interest and sales of required goods and services. They work in marketing agencies or marketing department of businesses and help agencies and clients negotiate deals.
Marketing managers have to manage different marketing programs and campaigns and thus must possess good interpersonal and communication skills. They have to work directly with the clients to furnish their needs and necessities. Marketing managers manage campaigns and promotions, meet sales objectives for given goods and services, and ensure proper implementation of these projects so that they are completed under budget and deadline.
Basic roles, duties, responsibilities of marketing managers
So, what does a marketing manager do? Here we have summed up basic roles, duties or responsibilities of marketing managers:
- Bargain and finalize marketing and advertisement contracts
- Carry out market researches and investigate findings
- Work directly with other sections heads to discuss about projects and contracts
- Selection of marketing proposal and products to be marketed
- Build pricing tactics
- Administer the employment of marketing staffs
- Oversee the daily activities of the marketing department
- Supervise budget and campaign costs
- Assess efficiency of marketing strategies and projects
As a marketing manager you have to deal with many functions and also have to work extra hours often due to the aggressive market competition. Choices of self employment and freelance are also obtainable, but it is more suitable for established professionals.
Employers of marketing managers
- Film studios
- Retail and wholesale trade
- Insurance and finance companies
- Business and corporate organizations
- Government and public bodies
- Advertising and public relation agencies
- Insurance and finance companies
Proper marketing boosts sales of goods and services which in turn boost the company’s annual turnover. This is why most companies have a distinct department for marketing which is managed by marketing manager.
Qualification and Training
This field is open to graduates from any educational background, but a degree in the following field increases the odds:
- Business management
A degree or equal work experience is required to get a break in very volatile marketing industry. Candidates with a 4 years bachelor’s degree in marketing or related fields such as advertising or journalism are favored. Given the seniority of the position, the candidate also needs to have several years of work experience in this field. However, no particular license or certifications is customary.
Networking is very vital to secure yourself a right marketing position. Work experience is very precious in this field as it makes you recognizable with the working process and helps you establish networks. Undertaking internship programs, voluntary works, and training programs will show to be very helpful and give you an edge over others candidates.
Required skills or job specifications for marketing managers
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to negotiate contracts
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude for creativity and originality
- Excellent knowledge about current scenario of market
- Ability to forecast future and make plans
- Analytical skills