Multimedia designers are individuals who design and devise IT based multimedia projects such as software, DVDs, computer games and combine text with graphics, photos, clips and even virtual reality and digital animation. As a multimedia specialist, you have to combine creative and technical skills to design and devise communication and information based services that entertain and educate users.
If you have keen interest in creating attention-grabbing visuals and products, and multimedia presentations, a career as a multimedia designer is suitable for you. You will have to produce visuals and clips that entice, educate and entertain its viewers.
Basic roles, duties, responsibilities of multimedia designers
So, what does a multimedia designer do? Here we have summed up basic roles, duties or responsibilities carried out by multimedia designers:
- Meet and liaise with clients to discuss on projects and progress
- Give technical advises and recommendations
- Produce, demonstrate, and receive feedbacks of ideas
- Create multimedia designs in collaboration with animators, writers and programmers
- Work as a team with sound engineers, video producers, artists, animators and writers
- Test products for any possible error and make amendments
- Use software like Photoshop and other designing and after effects services
- Liaise with account managers and technical staffs
- Produce and present finished design to clients
Duties and responsibilities of multimedia designers vary largely depending on whether they are in private practice or are working under an organization.
Employers of Multimedia Designers
- Finance and insurance companies
- Retail businesses
- Manufacturing businesses
- Transport businesses
- Housing and real estate companies
- Business outsourcing agencies
- Film studios
- Advertising agencies
Part time work for multimedia designers is widely available giving you the flexibility in your work routine. Self employment is also possible but it takes years of experience and credibility for it.
Qualification and training
Graduates from any academic background can pursue their career as multimedia designer as long as you have right experience and skills. A degree in related field such as illustration, graphic design, or computer science will set you up for entry in multimedia. Post Graduation degree in related technical field will be an added advantage.
Although the work prospects are open to all competent graduates, the following list of degrees is especially relevant:
- Design and art
- 3D design
- Graphic design
- Spatial design
- Electrical and computer engineering
Graduates can apply for residency to raise the profile, build contacts and portfolio. Residencies offer the chances to have right to use facilities and working environment. It also gives the exposure and jumpstart to work their way in business. The duration of residencies can last from two or three weeks to few months. Graduates have options to work on their own or work their way in professional industries and assist in projects.
Required skills or job specifications
Multimedia designing is a very fast growing business with vast prospects. To build a reputation and get established in the business animators need to have special skills relevant to the field. Employers hire promising graduates and multimedia designers with the following skills:
- Artistic and technical skills
- Storytelling ability
- Flexibility to toggle between multiple projects at given time
- Ability to work under pressure and within deadlines
- Aptitude for details
- Creativity and originality