Sales managers are individuals responsible for administering the sales department of a company. Sales managers set regional and local sales rations, oversee sales support representatives and staffs, and give advice to the company regarding the sales performance. Sales managers have to manage different sales projects and campaigns and thus must possess good interpersonal and communication skills. They have to work directly with the clients and other parties to cater their needs and necessities.
Sales manager make plans and gives direction to sales of goods and services and work towards achieving preset objectives in order to boost the sales and revenue of required goods and services. They work in sales department of businesses and sometimes sales agencies and help agencies and clients increase their turnover.
Basic roles, duties, responsibilities of sales managers
So, what do sales managers do? Here we have listed out key roles, duties or responsibilities of a sales manager:
- Bargain and finalize sales and marketing contracts
- Carry out sales researches and investigate findings
- Work directly with other sections heads to discuss about projects and contracts
- Selection of sales projects, proposal and products to be marketed
- Build pricing tactics
- Administer the employment of sales staffs
- Oversee the daily activities of the sales department
- Supervise budget and campaign costs
- Assess efficiency of sales strategies and projects
As a sales manager you have to deal with many functions and also have to work extra hours often due to the aggressive market competition. Choices of self employment and freelance are also obtainable, but it is more suitable for established professionals.
Employers of sales managers
- Retail and wholesale trade
- Insurance and finance companies
- Business and corporate organizations
- Government and public bodies
- Advertising agencies
- Insurance and finance companies
Sales of goods and services boost the company’s annual turnover which in turns boosts the company’s profitability, solvency and liquidity. This is why most companies have a distinct department for sales which is managed by sales manager.
Qualification and Training
This field is open to graduates from any academic background, but a degree in the following field increases the odds:
- Business management
A degree or equal work experience is required to get a break in very impulsive sales and marketing industry. Candidates with a 4 years bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field such as advertising is favored. Given the superiority of the position, the candidate also needs to have several years of work experience in this field. However, no particular license or certifications is a compulsion.
Networking is very vital to secure yourself a right sales position. Work experience is very precious in this field as it makes you recognizable with the working process and helps you establish networks. Undertaking internship programs, voluntary works, and training programs will show to be very helpful and give you an edge over others candidates.
Required skills or job specifications for sales managers
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to bargain contracts
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Analytical skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude for creativity and originality
- Excellent knowledge about current scenario of market
- Ability to forecast future and make plans